Two mothers electrocuted in Bawku

Two women Madam Safia Karimu, a nursing mother, and Madam Safia Karimu, a mother of five, both petty traders in Bawku have met their untimely death after they were electrocuted.

The deceased who lived in the same community were fetching water from a neighbour’s house for domestic use when one of them, Madam Asongba, decided to take a rest and leaned on a wall that was electrified by an exposed live wire and got electrocuted.

Madam Fatima Abugre, an eye witness who narrated the incident said Madam Karimu on realizing that her colleague was struggling, then decided to help her by pulling her to safety but both of them got electrocuted.

Upon shouts for help, people around the house rushed to their rescue and quickly sent them to the Bawku Presbyterian hospital for medical attention.

Medical Officer of the Hospital, Dr Dannise Daliri confirmed that the two women died on arrival, adding that there was the need to conduct further investigations to determine whether they were killed by electricity.

Station Officer of the Northern Electricity Distribution Company Gershon Kumahlor, noted that someone tempered with the electric wire leading to the fatalities.

This led to the owner of the house Madam Hajia Bola being arrested by the Bawku Police to assist in investigating the criminal aspect of the incident.