“Giants” show up in court in solidarity with student killed by Cop

The Takoradi Magistrate Court on Friday remanded again into police custody the Police Constable who allegedly shot and killed a final year student of the Ghana Secondary Technical School (GSTS), Lawrence Baidoo in December, 2017.

He is to reappear on the 30 of January this year.

The Constable, Adjei Shaibu is said to have taken the deceased and his friends including a female who were on their way to a street jam in another town for  robbers who roamed the neighbourhood. After questioning them however, he fired a warning shot which unfortunately hit the deceased in the neck resulting in his instant death.

There was however a heavy security presence in court ostensibly to protect the suspect from the rage of the teeming school mates, friends, family as well as some Giants (GSTS old Students) who had gathered to witness proceedings and sympathize with the family of the deceased.

Counsel for the accused, Layer Edmond Acquah- Ahen requested bail for his client stating that the alleged act was a bailable and could not fathom why his client continued to be in custody adding, “he also has some rights to enjoy”.

The atmosphere in the court heightened when the request of bail was refused with some seasoned  lawyers who had come to witness proceedings  supporting the request for bail.

His argument was that the suspect was, who is a Police Office was not somebody who could abuse the laws regarding bail.

That notwithstanding, Prosecuting Inspector Bernard Paa Arhinsah told the Court presided over by Mr. Thomas Ofibie that the request for remand was to assist the investigators to finalize information and evidence gathering with respect to the matter.

He said the personal security of the suspect was also paramount whilst the gun in question was also being taken to the police headquarters for forensic audit to ascertain the truth or otherwise of the incident.

But lawyer for the complainant Ebo Donkor vehemently opposed the bail request on the grounds that the crime in question was the highest form of crime anybody could commit.

He mentioned that during such committal process, it was only prudent that the accused person was kept in custody in order not to interfere with the evidence gathering process as well as other necessary procedures to help in bringing real justice to the door step of the affected individuals.

The lawyer watching brief for the family of the victim said though the magistrate court did not have  jurisdiction over the matter, the end of the committal process will determine the next line of action by a higher court.

Lawyer Ebo Donkor was grateful to Magistrate Judge for upholding the decision of refusal of bail adding, “It is a victory for the rule of law.”

Before pronouncing the remand, Magistrate Judge, his Worship Thomas Ofibie said, “As I was climbing up here, I observed the heavy security presence, the chanting of songs and faces of people outside… I only think that it is appropriate to remand the suspect for his personal safety and allow investigators to also finish their work”.

Relatives of the deceased who still can’t hold back their tears continue to rain curses on the Police Constable who is alleged to have killed Lawrence.